Friday, May 3, 2013

shirt into shirtdress, a d.i.y.


Folks, this post contains a bunch of shameless mirror selfies. Fair warning. 

As a self-taught seamstress, my sewing abilities extend only as far as my motivation to make something fit me, so I mainly do a lot of hemming and taking in. This project is kind of an extreme version of those two things.

Before. 

I found this pretty silk/cotton blouse at my favorite thrift store for $3. Normally I don't pick up items this outsized but I really loved the fabric and all the little lace and embroidery details. So it came home with me and sat atop my sewing pile for a few months until I was inspired by this dress and its light and airy high-low hem. 

My first step was to cut off the sleeves. I was sad to lose them, but they would play an important role later in the process. The shoulders on the blouse were pretty wide and fell naturally into a little cap sleeve: a bonus, since I have no idea how to make a sleeve. 

I stitched up the extra fabric on the sides, keeping the full width of the shirt at the bottom (more of a trapeze than a shirtdress shape), and hemmed the new short sleeves by hand. 



So, at this point the dress was SUPER short. Luckily, I'd saved that fabric from the former long sleeves, which I pieced together into a four-inch hem. (It was a close shave: hardly a scrap was left over!) Then I hemmed the dress with a ribbon edge (inside) to give it as much length as possible.



I'm excited about how this turned out! The dress feels simple but special, and (bonus) it works with a lot of things I already own. As shown. Cue selfies. :) 

Getting my Derby on.

Mwah, dears.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! A compliment from the master! :)

      Delete
  2. This is super cute! I need to break out my sewing machine again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! You won't be sorry! Just having it out on my table gives me more ideas.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...