Saturday, April 13, 2013

pony up


So, one thing about hosting frequent house guests: it supplies a LOT of deadlines for smaller, more manageable projects like this little closet makeover. Our guest room closet was beat up and boring. The dominant feature was a gaping hole punched through the drywall where somebody once did some plumbing. 


The first thing I did was make a little spring-hinged door to cover the hole, because, let's be honest, patching the wall would be pretty much inviting a major plumbing emergency. This was my first real effort in carpentry, and it's given me hope for a few more ambitious projects I have in mind...


Next up was spackling, sanding, painting, and stenciling. (And if the stencil looks familiar, it's because, yes, it's shamelessly stolen from these girls.

I decided on the ponies as a tribute to our adopted hometown of Louisville, and I love them as a little element of surprise in a room that's pretty clean, design-wise. Since I really want a soothing space for our guests, I'm making a concerted effort not to overdecorate (a challenge!), but I'm really excited about the whimsical moment waiting behind the closet door.



Visiting Louisville? Like to stay in our guest room? See here.

6 comments:

  1. It looks lovely ! I love the horses, so original in a closet !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute!!! I love the surprise of it!! Cute blog and your newest follower! If you want come link up with Give Me The Goods {1 party, 4 blogs}¡! Dimples & Pig Tales

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, y'all! And welcome, Amber. Thanks for saying hello!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kristen!
    Loove your horse closet!
    Need somewhere some horses too, on a wall, maybe...:)
    Anyways, you have a new follower;)
    Love and hugs
    Lydia



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Lydia! Lovely to have you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...