Monday, September 17, 2012

sewing table salvage


This little project has been in the works for a while. After many months spent looking for an old treadle machine for my sewing room (and failing to justify $100-200 at antique shops), I found this sewing table at my go-to thrift store for $24! Win.

Make no mistake: it was not in good shape. The actual machine was long gone, treadle and wheel rusted solid, and, by the looks of it, the thing sat in a shed or shallow grave for about fifty years. 

Because of all the damage, I patched pieces of this table together with pieces of another one I owned already: a mid-century sewing table with a gorgeous (working!) machine but sad, spindly little legs (below, left). Weep if you will, purists and mid-century fanatics, but I submit that my hideous progeny is greater than the sum of its parts. Cheers, and enjoy the pictorial.











5 comments:

  1. I am in love with this. We should go shopping sometime, I love thrift stores! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much prettier with the paint job! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...