Wednesday, May 23, 2012

honey and the bees

   
Just this morning, Erin of The Germantown Honeyhound and I opened up our backyard hive. We pried out a few frames and found plenty of honey and new comb as well as lots of capped cells, meaning Queen Elizabeth I is doing her thing, making bee babies. You go, your highness.

I'm pretty crazy about these hardworking girls. They're pollinating my squash blossoms and creating honey from thin air and have not once attacked me in the shape of an arrow. 
  
So, to show my appreciation, I'm relaying a message to you, friends, readers, interwebs at large, on behalf of my 10,000+ new neighbors: For heaven's sake don't use poisonous weed killers, fertilizers, or insecticides, especially ones from these guys, already banned in Germany. Bad for the bees, bad for the earth, bad for us all. 
   
And plant yourself a flower garden with a few of Dr. Stashenko's "top five." Once you've got your lemon balm and tansy in a sunny corner, kick back with a Honeyhound and keep an eye out for one of my little friends...
   
Saint Erin the Fearless

6 comments:

  1. So great! I love that you're doing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, lady. Come over and pet the bees anytime... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. other bad news for bees:
    "Monsanto, the massive biotechnology company being blamed for contributing to the dwindling bee population, has bought up one of the leading bee collapse research organizations.

    Read more:
    http://naturalsociety.com/monsanto-bee-collapse-buys-bee-research-firm/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of bad news for bees (and just, you know, the EARTH). But we can all vote with our fork!

      http://pollan.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/05/07/voting-with-your-fork/

      Delete
  4. YAY!! So pumped about your bees!!! My 3 little hives are thriving as well. We should have a bee play date?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...