Thursday, March 29, 2012

march garden

     
Thanks to the not-so-much-winter-as-prolonged-late-fall, M and I got a head start on this year's garden. With a little trepidation and a lot of knocking on wood, we did most of our planting during the first week of March. (I know... but so far everything's coming up roses!) Just this morning I was out clipping onion tops for omelets.

So, the gridwork: it sets my type-A heart a'flutter, yes it does. 
     
We wanted more veggie variety without adding another bed, so we're trying out a modified* version of square-foot gardening to keep ourselves neat and tidy. Here's the row breakdown, left to right:

  • Box 1: lavender, lettuce, red onions, yellow onions, green onions, kale, bell peppers, squash/zucchini
  • Box 2: lavender, misc. herbs, beets (2 rows), carrots (2 rows), bell peppers, long beans
  • Box 3: tomatoes (coming soon!) & basil

       
        
So, why not just add a fourth garden bed? Well, we're a bit pressed for backyard real estate. And here's why:
    
   
(Lots) more on these girls later.  For now: they're here, they're hilarious, and they're all named Betty. Happy Spring!



*In which we divide our 8'x4' beds into 32 squares without 270 pages of self-congratulation.

2 comments:

  1. It all looks so exciting, Kristen. We're getting a later start than you, but I hope we'll have most things planted by mid-April or the beginning of May. I've got flower sprouts covered with cake domes in my kitchen! Your Betties (Bettys?) look so cute. I bet they'll keep your yard free of pests!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your garden boxes, I can't wait for good tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...