Saturday, December 24, 2011

d.i.y. anthro: quite a spectacle necklace

"Good poets borrow... great poets steal." -T.S. Eliot

"Quite a Spectacle," indeed: $498!
   
It might be librarian chic at its finest, but there's something about Anthropologie's "Quite a Spectacle" necklace this English teacher just can't resist. 
   
I hinted about this project a few weeks ago, but tracking down vintage frames at the right price turned out more challenging than I expected. Many hours of thrifting later, I'm (mostly) satisfied with my collection. As for the actual assembly of the necklace, it's pretty straightforward:
    
A few twists of an eyeglass screwdriver remove the temple pieces, which I saved in case I ever want to convert my necklace back into glasses.  
   
   
The chain links directly onto the frame hinges. I left five links separating each pair of frames and a couple inches of chain separating the two lowest-hanging frames. 
   
   
What do you think? Could you pick it out of a lineup?
   

Project Tally:
*eyeglass frames, $.80-$30 ea.
*necklace chain and clasp, $7
*eyeglass kit and jewelry pliers on hand
   
Pronouncement:
*success   
       
Confession: 
*I'd love to tell you this necklace is a gift. It is just plain not. Merry Christmas to me!    

Librarian mannequin knows how to party.

8 comments:

  1. Great job! What a cool necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea. You are so creative.

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful! Love those dark octagon frames.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dope!

    Styleropa
    http://stylerop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I commented on the EA blog, but I had to come check out the original post myself...this is fantastic! When I first saw that necklace my immediate thought was "ooh, craft project!" You have inspired me to get back on that.

    Happy weekend!

    Cheers,
    Mindi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying hello, Mindi! And good luck with your project. :)

      Delete
  6. Kristen - I commented on the EA post too! I made a necklace like this myself too! I will have to do a post on it as well, and share with the EA community... I have been meaning to anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I looked up your version of the necklace. Love it --great job!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...