Thursday, November 3, 2011

book-or-treat


Last year, all year, M and I collected children's books. We picked them up on the cheap at garage sales, combed through thrift shop selections on discount days. We hoarded classics: Milne, Potter, Dahl, White, L'Engle, Twain...

By All Hallows' we'd collected over 80 books, and that evening, as trick-or-treaters began making their rounds, we gave every last one away. 


Admission: we were a bit apprehensive. Giving books to kids expecting candy: cruel trick? Or sweet treat? But, overwhelmingly, the kids were as excited as we were, from little ones wanting to sit down and read, right then and there, to handfuls of neighborhood kids climbing over each other to get up our porch steps first. It was madness. It was worth it. We're doing it again.

Best line all night:
"Daddy! Did you know? Harry Potter is a book, too!"


12 comments:

  1. ADORE this idea. seriously. and even made sweeter with the growing frustrations by the disgusting chocolate industry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea, when I was a kid I would have been thrilled. I'm sure the parents loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this idea! It would make me feel warm and fuzzy to think I could make a difference for even one kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the best idea! I'm enchanted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, that's adorable! And what a wonderful idea!!
    www.saysskippy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. stumpled upon this via effortless. I LOVE THIS POST it's brilliant! one of these days I will do this!! thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHAT a FAB idea!! good for you. The dumbing down of America is reversed--at least in your neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...