Sunday, November 20, 2011

d.i.y. anthro: mason jar sewing kit

"Good poets borrow, great poets steal..." -T.S. Eliot

Anthropologie's Mason Jar Sewing Kit: $48

It's no secret that I love Anthropologie. Granted, their pretty wares are often beyond my means, but isn't that part of the Anthro appeal?  Like a hard-won skill or a high-maintenance friend: we love them for what they demand from us. We give and give; they take and take. Everyone's happy. Symbiosis.
   
It's the hand-picked-ness too, isn't it? We're charmed by the collection of odds and ends Anthro has curated for our perusal. And we pay the price --until one sunny September day, whilst considering a $50 jar of basic craft supplies, when we think: wait, I have hands too! 
   
Hence this post.
   
Each Christmas, I attend a crazy gift exchange with about 300 d.i.y. ladies, all offering beautiful handmade crafts. This year, I set my heart on gifting these sweet sewing kits, so a couple of months ago I began curating a collection of my own...



Vintage spools.

Odd snippers.

Keepsake thimbles.
   
I love the clever pincushion lids on Anthro's kits, but I prefer felt to burlap, myself. Plus I've been really curious to try my hand at home-felting (adventures in felting coming soon to a Mending Wednesday near you!), so I made my pincushions from a thrifted wool sweater.
   

And...assemble! These 16oz Ball jars are my favorites for every use imaginable: gifting, storage (even the occasional jelly). In the end, I'd collected so many sewing goodies on the cheap that I filled my requisite six kits with lots left over!
   

Project tally:
*jars, $10 (for 8 jars)
*thrifted miscellany, $15
*sweater for felting, $5
*on-hand glue, twine, paper = 6 d.i.y. sewing kits (and then some) for $30
   
Pronouncement:
*success

7 comments:

  1. Super cute, that's a great idea for a gift. I really love those thimbles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you have an interestin blog with lots of great photos....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! And welcome, Mary, good to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great DIY and will make an awesome gift! Where do you buy those cute little jars for such an affordable price?
    www.saysskippy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found at Target, in the kitchen gadgets aisle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great (and super creative) idea! I love all things mason jars:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! And you did such a fantastic job.

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...