Friday, June 10, 2011

june garden


June has been a fruiting and flowering month for the garden.  Although we're still eating mainly greens (kale, spinach, romaine), we're getting excited for tomato sandwiches, tomato salad, tomato soup, tomato sauce, tomato juice, and (because we're pretty impatient) fried green tomatoes.  (One recipe for beer-battered, fried green tomatoes, coming up!)

For now, here are a few garden highlights from June:

Strawberries!

Tomatoes!

Beets and sunflowers!

 And my personal favorite: one very confused apple.
Doesn't he know he's not due for another 3-5 years?!

Tell me: what's your favorite way to eat a tomato?

6 comments:

  1. I've never had this, but I am always so tempted..you should try and let me know how it goes! Peanut Butter and Tomato Toast: http://bit.ly/llaWPR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so intrigued by this! Sometimes I get major cravings for peanut butter and cheese... similar? I'll be sure to try it. Great to hear from you, lady! Hope things are good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomato sandwich. White bread (good stuff, from a bakery), Duke's mayo, big fat slices of tomato, lots of salt and pepper. Add crispy bacon if you're feeling decadent. Add bacon and a fried egg if you want the most delicious sandwich ever created.

    Sliced tomatoes in a bowl with a scoop of cottage cheese over them, too -- the creamy-tangy juxtaposition is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmagoodness. I may not wait for my own tomatoes to have that sandwich. I was also thinking of that dhal we made last summer...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, found you via Filed Wonderful... I looooooove your garden!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...